These 2018 paintings became too busy because I kept adding to make things better. Like most of my paintings at some point these two were not working at all. They are probably my best example of obsessive working without a plan other than to accrete. Through this process I've noticed something beyond my control self organizes and makes sense within the context of the painting. But with Irma and System the confusion was too much. Nothing could be seen. Before I painted another layer which I knew would only add more visual chaos I sanded the flat resin surface fogging out everything. Clear gloss media was used to cut through the sanded blur in places. They were saved.
After almost two months away from the studio I find myself painting bigger and faster with more control. Irma and System might mark the end of something I've been working on for awhile.